Tuesday, April 29, 2008

BOO!!! :-)


Ey Guys! Musta naman mo? It's me Daniel Go! I'll be using "Conway" as my pseudonym. I got this name from a book my Dad recommended, "The Lost Horizon". I can't really say it's one of the best books I've ever read. Instead, what makes this book so special to me is that my Dad recommended it to me, and he never recommends anything for me to read. So in a way, the book means a lot to me and so is the name Conway.
Any who... Christian what happened to our Literature Club Meeting this Week? I'm really excited about it! I know I haven't said much about my interests on this club, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm willing to commit. Like so many people, I've taken up a course not of my likings for practical reasons, and now that I've graduated. I'm free! Free to follow my heart without worry. I did what I had to do, which was to take up nursing , and now, I'm going to do want I've been wanting to do for a very long time!
The reason why I'm really hoping this Literature Club would come to be is because I don't think I have the time, energy, or money to take up another course, and personally, I think it would be impractical. Fortunately, God has led me into meeting all of you guys! The world of Literature is all too new to me! and so far, I love it! I feel like a lost child who has found his way to DISNEY WORLD! A world where magic and fairy tales come to life! A place of perpetual joy!
And because I am new to this, I need all of your help. I believe each of us has something that would contribute to the progress of others.
I feel blessed to have met a lot of talented individuals and writers in the workshop and it is my hope that I get a chance to work with all of you. For now, this proposed club is as close as I could get to achieving that dream. I believe there's so much we could offer to each other. Please, please, please let this push through! I know Ivi would be committed too, right Iv?! hehehe
To Je: Ey Je! Musta na? Hmm... We have very similar interests too, about inventing a world I mean. My quest started a long time ago, when I was at grade 6. I was convinced to invent one so that I could have a platform for my story. I can't really tell you much about my story because wala pa nako na copyright hehehe peace! But I can share a few tips I used to help create this world of mine.
Tip #1: Extract ideas from video games (especially the Final Fantasy series, and RPG's), from movies, Cartoons, Stories, and History.
Approach these mediums as an observer, not someone wishing to be entertained, but keep in mind the nature of your story and the world you want to create. So the next time you watch a movie or play a game, keep a pen and paper close by. A good PC game that would help you create a world are the SIMS series, Civilization, and other games a like. ( games where you play god)


Tip #2: Keep a Catalogue and start learning how to sketch
It's very crucial to document the dimensions of your world. Write down what kind of world it is, what are the modes of transportation, the currencies, names of towns or kingdoms, etc. This will remind you of how your world is. You could also update it later if you want. Next up is the sketching part. You have draw your world map. sketch the clothing styles, transportations, houses or palaces, your characters, creatures, etc. This will help you bring your story to life. At the same time you build your world, you will begin to notice that there will be so many stories to tell (which is a good thing). Documenting your progress and creations will not only finalize things but will also be a source of inspiration to you.

I hope you find these tips helpful because they sure have helped me :) and most importantly, ENJOY the process!

Well guys, it's getting late. I'm looking forward to hearing from you all!

-Dan

8 comments:

blogging mistress on a rest said...

hey dan/ngi, im with you on the literary club! so christian, balik na and let's have the first meeting!

blogging mistress on a rest said...

btw dan, never heard you talk about anything so excitedly as you are now with writing. let this be the start of very good writing to come. it's like you've been at it for a looooong time. continue your affair with british english, and give me lessons once in a while. hehe

blogging mistress on a rest said...

dan, you still have that copy of the lost horizon? if im not mistaken, it's where the idea of shangrila, as in paradise, was first mentioned... a very good book lover friend also recommends it. borrow!

slowmotion said...

Okay, I'm going to be an extreme lit geek and talk about books that talk about worlds that talk about creating universes. My favorites are: Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman. He's a physicist. And a writer. And in this book he traces the possibilities of words/times/spaces where time moves differently. For example: "In this world, time moves backward... " "In this world no one keeps memories.". etc. etc. etc.

The other suggestion is Italo Calvino's "Invisible Cities". Invisible because these cities aren't real. They're imagined cities. And each chapter in this book is a description / mini history of that imagined city.

end of mini lecture. haha

Regards everyone!

blogging mistress on a rest said...

sir lar, question. hope you'll see this.

what's your average reading time for, lets say, a 500-paged book? i ask this question to every bookreader i meet.

masuya ko sir da kay wide-ranged kaayo imo selections. so far, the only book i read about "evolution" of a place/family kay 100 years of solitude. and i realized i enjoyed the freedom of creating your own village because you can abuse it any way you want since you're the creator anyway. but of course, naay limitations because it's set on earth. but for whole new worlds,ie "where time moves backward", boundless.

blabbing again. :D

^^kafkaesque_ said...

hello there daniel! whew.. i arrived tuesday this week and my i had to square things out in my OJT schedule. darn! kapoy jud... anyweiz., it's good to know that you and eevie are willing to team up jud.. im sooo happy! ^_^ bitaw., let's meet next saturday, that wud be on the 10th of May. fully booked ko karong week. my apologies jud.... anyways dan and eevie, feel free to contact me thru my landline sad: 2382417. and my mobile 09153570512. and to those who are interested... let's complete the circle as "core groups" by then we could start the activities and planning thinggy.

i badly miss you guys.. let's keep our minds enkindled with literary flare. take care ^_^

blogging mistress on a rest said...

may 10 for now is ok! will text to confirm! thanks, christian, welcome back!

slowmotion said...

ivi/eevveeee/iveee (UNSA MAN JUY SPELLING UY! haha)

I'm a slow reader. Many books I start, but don't finish. Not because I lose interest, or they lose interest in me, or that interest is lost altogether to begin with, but that I'm such a slow reader. 500 pages would take maybe months.

There's a 250 page book that took me 6 starts, and a full year to complete. It's also the book I automatically thought you should read the first time I saw (for no other reason than that you look like the author! haha) . It's called the God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy.

Love story. Historical drama. Ganun ang takbo ng kwento. hahahahaha

Tell me if you have a hard time finding a copy.